Finding the Right Lawyer for a Semi Truck Accident
Truck accidents are serious matters, mainly due to the size differential between a passenger vehicle and semi. The weight of the tractor-trailer, along with cargo, means that a passenger car or light truck will bear the brunt of the impact. Severe injuries and fatalities are common, leaving victims with substantial medical bills, loss of income, and excruciating pain and suffering. You do have rights to compensation for your losses if you are injured, but it is critical to retain a highly skilled truck accident attorney to fight for your rights.
At the Harville Law Offices in Louisville, our knowledgeable Louisville truck accident lawyers ensure you do not have to face these difficult circumstances alone. We have years of experience assisting clients in getting the compensation they deserve for their injuries. Our lawyers are at your side through the claims process and settlement negotiations with an insurance company, but we will take the case to court where necessary to protect your interests.
How Truck Accidents Happen
Most motor vehicle crashes occur because a driver was negligent and failed to exercise reasonable care. Operating an 18-wheeler, box truck, or delivery truck requires intense concentration, considerable training, licensing, and finely tuned skills. There are multiple points that a truck driver can make a mistake while driving, leading to serious accidents.
- Speeding in excess of the posted limit;
- Driving faster than is safe for the weather, road conditions, and other factors;
- Taking turns to quickly;
- Failure to yield; and,
- Many other types of negligence that could apply to any driver on the road.
However, there are additional factors that point to negligence in a truck accident.
The trailer may not have been properly loaded with cargo, or the weight could exceed the recommended limits. The trucking company may not have properly maintained the vehicle or attended to repairs. The owner or operators could have failed to inspect the vehicle in order to identify components that need attention.
Any circumstances indicating a breach of the legal duty to exercise reasonable care in operating the truck could give rise to a claim for truck accident injury compensation.
Types of Truck Accidents in Kentucky
The acts of negligence described above may have devastating consequences when the truck is traveling along Kentucky roadways. Misconduct could lead to:
- Jack-knife accidents, where the tractor slows and the trailer shifts forward of the front of the vehicle;
- Underride crashes, if a motorist in a passenger car strikes the trailer from the rear;
- Head-on collisions;
- Accidents from an overturned or tipped truck;
- Incidents related to falling or unbalanced cargo;
- Crashes that lead to spills of hazardous chemicals, fires, or explosions; and,
- Many other types of truck accidents.
Proving Your Right to Compensation
As the victim of a truck accident, the first step in seeking compensation will be filing a claim with the truck driver’s insurance company. Insurance companies aggressively defend their bottom line, and they will do all they can to avoid paying the full value of your claim.
They may try to blame the crash on you or dispute the severity of your injuries. However, truck accident cases are complicated for additional reasons. For instance:
- There may be multiple parties involved in a typical truck crash. Not only must you deal with the operator and insurer, but you may need to bring the driver’s employer or the vehicle owner into the matter.
- Truck drivers and trucking companies are required to carry insurance coverage in the millions of dollars. When faced with such high financial stakes, insurers assign their most knowledgeable, assertive claims adjusters. These employees will meticulously scrutinize your entire claim, medical records, and supporting documents. A small error can affect your rights;
- Evidence is critical in a truck accident, which means you will need experts to support your claim. The best truck collision lawyers have access to medical experts, accident reconstruction specialists, economists, and other professionals to provide essential input.
Our attorneys at the Harville Law Offices have the skills and experience to establish your right to compensation. We will develop a strong legal strategy to meet all required elements of a truck accident case. If we cannot reach a fair settlement in an amount adequate to cover your losses, our truck accident lawyers will take the matter to court.
INJURED IN AN ACCIDENT?
We offer free consultations.
Damages Available in a Kentucky Truck Accident
In a successful truck accident case, you are entitled to all economic and non-economic damages you suffer as a result of your injuries. They include:
- Medical Expenses: You can recover financially for the costs related to your treatment, including emergency services, surgery, rehabilitation, and long-term care.
- Lost Income: If you were out of work due to your injuries or cannot ever return to your job, we can obtain compensation for your lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering: You no doubt endure extreme pain due to your injuries in a truck accident, and our lawyer will ensure you recover for your suffering.
- Other Non-Economic Losses: Depending on your situation, you can also seek damages for diminished quality of life, scarring and disfigurement, emotional distress, and other losses. If your injuries affect your relationships with your spouse or loved ones, you can include these damages in your claim.
What Do Our Clients Say?
“Brad was a godsend when it came to my semi accident and workers comp case. I knew from the minute I spoke with him that he had my best interest at heart and went above and beyond to ensure a smooth and stress-free process for myself after all I went through. Brad fought for me when issues arose and I never felt helpless or stressed. I can’t thank him enough for all he did for me with my case, my injury, my health care issues and the follow up. Brad truly cares about his clients and is extremely knowledgeable in his line of work. It’s a scary thing being in a semi truck accident, however, Brad made it so much easier making sure I was taken care of. Thank you Brad!”
– Kelly F.
Dedicated Louisville, KY Attorneys Fight for Truck Accident Victims
Truck accidents can be catastrophic in the injuries they cause, so the best way to preserve your rights to compensation is by retaining a highly qualified lawyer to represent you. Our attorneys at Harville Law Offices take on tough trucking and insurance companies, and we are here to help. Please call (502) 245-2333 to speak with a lawyer or contact us online to schedule a consultation today.
Source: Kentucky State Police